Each answer should be about 1-2 regular Language Arts paragraphs in length. Please take your time to be thoughtful. Add detail and examples to support your response ideas.
1) Goal one: Be aware of current events.
Question: How’d you do? Compare your awareness of current events from the beginning to the end of the term. How have you changed as a viewer and/or a consumer of news?
2) Goal two: Learn to be comfortable interviewing and talking with people.
Question: How’d you do? What can make interviewing people difficult? Fun? What kinds of advice can you offer students who are just starting/learning to conduct interviews? If you could go back to one of those early interviews for a ‘redo’ of it, what questions would you ask or ask differently?
3) Goal three: Learn to storytell like a journalist.
Question: How’d you do? Compare one of your class writings from the start of the term with a class writing that you completed later in the term. What are 3-4 differences that you recognize? What are some of the basic rules for writing like a journalist? Explain.
4) Goal four: Be able to talk about why stories are selected; be able to critique media for their story and photo choices.
Question: How’d you do? What is an example of a story in current media that you think is a good example of something that needs to be covered for the public to know? What is an example of a photograph in current media that you think is an example of a photo with excellent composition? In this answer, add a link to these and explain.
5) Goal five Understand some of the key U.S. media laws and the protections you have as a student journalist.
Question: How’d you do? How has your understanding of “freedom of speech” changed or developed as you learned more about U.S. media history and laws? What kinds of laws/ethics rule your judgment in making story decisions or photo decisions? Explain.
6) Goal six: Consider aspects of journalism/media that you might like for continuing in yearbook or newspaper and/or as a future career.
Question: How’d you do? What kind of media job would you most enjoy? What kinds of qualities does a person need to have to enjoy and to do the job well? What do you think it would be like to work for a web site, TV station, radio station, magazine, or newspaper?
Last Question (it’s always smart to end the interview with this one…..) Any other comments you want to make? Feel free to provide feedback/suggestions/comments.